Monday, February 22, 2010

Go, Stop, Go!

D is in a car phase... a big one.  I am kind of surprised about his interest in cars after his car accident, but maybe he is using the matchbox cars to work through his fears.  Anyway, there is no stopping him from his new car love... so, I'm GOING with it!  I like to pick what he's "into" and teach using that subject.  He's been recognizing stop signs in the car, and I sing a little "S-T-O-P spells STOP" tune each time we come to the stop signs.  He sings along.  This is what we are working on today... "stop and go"- how to recognize the printed words , the letters that make up the words, what the words mean, and symbols and colors we associate with these words.  We discussed Red and Green, the octagon shape of the stop sign and how it has 8 sides... Then we used our BODIES to move when I say "Go" and freeze when I say "STOP".  I also held up a green piece of paper with reads "GO" and a red one for "STOP" that corresponded with the current action.  Then we moved onto the matchbox cars and his fisher price garage and talked about how cars "stop" and "go" in the garage...
It was a fun morning, that ended up in matchbox cars ALL OVER THE FLOOR- at which time I had to say "STOP"to load up for school...

No comments:

Post a Comment