Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Block Blueprints

First, let me just point out the NEW pjs!!!  He has moved from the doggie pajama obsession and is onto a rocket pair.
Dodson and I love playing with his blocks.  We have 2 sets, one small and one big.  I have to control myself when I build a perfect house only to have my boy tear it down with one quick movement.  Building and architecture is in my blood.  My brother is in the industry, and he's 5th generation to be in the field.  I always wanted to be an architect and I live the dream with Dodson's blocks.  I know - it's sad.  Anyway, I want to expose Dodson to the love of building as well, so we often go to the blocks!

This is SUCH a great lesson - spacial awareness, balance, and shape identification are all part of it.   I totally stole this idea from a blues clues episode - I guess that's why the producers get paid the big bucks!  Anyway, all you need is paper, pen and blocks. Then you draw out a "blue print" or building design and let them find the right blocks and try to build it.

I let Dodson wear his hard hat while we do this.  I also found he was too overwhelmed when all the blocks were available to him, so I gave his a small pile to choose from.

You could also present them with the necessary blocks and allow the construction to be the challenge. You can make them as simple or elaborate as you'd like!
We really liked this project and will be doing it again often!
Have a GREAT day!

1 comment: